Thursday, November 4, 2010

110310

Goal: Speed work, Eat healthy

Results: Check!

Diet: Spot on!

Morning Weight: 204

Thoughts: See the picture to the right? That is exactly how I feel right now.  I am still running 5-6 days a week in order to prepare for my half mary, but with the volume feels slow.  Once run under an hour is a large difference between working multiple sports 6 days a week. I assume this is probably normal for the off season. Veterans please let me know.

Other than running and concentrating on diet, I thought that I would be less obsessive since I didn't need to keep my mind right for upcoming races. This is not the case. I am still perusing for gear and training programs, reading race reviews from other races, formulating goals, etc. If only could get paid to obsess. One of the biggest obsession for me and points of conflict in the house right now is a new bike. The old bike outside of being old, needs both new tires and wheels. I have already put almost $400 into it and we both agree that another $300+ would probably not be a good investment. On the other hand good bike are hard, I love the Giant Defy 2 and the Trek 1.5 and think they would be a great starting point for me. I digress.

I took a break from twittling my thumbs today and got in my speedwork. THE PLAN called for 9x400. since my last speedwork was 5x400 due to skipping 6 weeks I thought I would play it by ear. They were to be at my 5k pace. The first 3 were at my 200m sprint pace, the next 4 toggled between my 5k pace and my 400m sprint pace. The 7th interval I WORKED HARD to keep in my 5k pace. I knew it was time to listen to my body and call it off. I was able to complete seven good intervals with a 400m walking recovery (to conserve energy) so I started my jog home. As I neared the house I felt renewed and thought I could get an 8th interval in. So I tried it. It sucked out loud!

How are your workouts going?

Anyone know the best time of year to find deals on triathlon/running singlets and gear?

3 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

you'll probably find deals on clothing straight through the hoidays...

If you feel that you should be pumping out more volume but are not ready to go into full multisport tacking and training mode yet, introduce a cross training session but try to keep it fun as opposed to numbers based. Like go ride your bike without a garmin or a certain route in mind just for fun.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You find the best deals in Nov, Dec, and Jan. Gear is like cars, when the 2011 line comes out, the 2010 gear goes on clearance. So some great deals can be coming soon.

Unknown said...

Good job on your intervals! I could do with finding some bargain running gear too.. all my socks currently have holes in!