Thursday, April 21, 2011

Respect for Morning Workouts

I just wanted to share with you my utmost respect for those who put in morning workouts, particularly long morning workouts all before going to work. With over a year of trying it is something I have not had much luck at.

Last Saturday I was able to mow three quarters of my lawn before it started raining. When I got done cutting trees I cam home and mowed half of the remaining quarter Monday but ran out of gas before i finished the entire section.

I know that I need to finish mowing as soon as possible this afternoon because I share a lawn mower with My father-in-law who commuted to Atlanta during the week. He is coming home this evening and I know he will need to mow his lawn. With this in mind I also knew that my workout schedule called for a brick with a 20 mile ride and 3 mile run. In order to get the lawn mowed I knew that I would need to do this before work.

I planned accordingly and got my work clothes ready, got my bike and accoutrements ready, set up a transition area, hung my (clean) workout clothes on the bed post near me, and set the alarm for 4:30 AM.

I was up and down every two hours anticipating my workout. I was awake at 4 Am thinking- I should just get up. I fell back asleep and when the alarm clock sounded I hit the snooze button. Or at least I thought I hit the snooze button, because it went off again at 6:20 AM. Entirely too late to workout since I needed to leave for work in 50 minutes.

So again, I have the utmost respect for the morning workout warriors!!

6 comments:

misszippy said...

It's the only way to go for me! Does kind of cut into the social life, but that's ok by me!

The Turtle said...

I had to get up early for a work meeting today and I had to summon all the will power I have just to walk to the shower. I seriously considered just going back to bed and calling in to the meeting from home. I too admire morning runners!

Jason said...

I pushed my workout yesterday to the afternoon b/c I slept through my alarm and all day I worried about it.

I am a 'late' to bed, early to rise kind of guy. I am in bed by 9pm and just laying around resting my body until around 930-10p when I am out like a light. Wake up at 3am and get the day going.

It is not for everybody but taking my step-son to school at 730a means I have to do this b/c my wife worksout after work. We have our schedule and again it works for us, but may not work for others.

I appreciate the respect. Keep trying and it does get easier then you will see all the energy you have all day and how easy it is to fall asleep at night.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

The key is getting in bed early, 8:30-9pm, after that, it gets dicey

LB said...

I have tried and failed more times than I can count at early morning workouts. Ive tried every trick in the book but nothing works!!!! The only thing that gets me out of bed is when I'm meeting someone for a workout or in the summer when it's just too dern hot to workout during the day!

Andrew Opala said...

boy you must have a big lawn!