Wednesday, September 22, 2010

092210

Today was another off day. My training schedule called for a 40 minute tempo run. With my swim speed bothering me, I decided to start the extra swim sessions I was planning to add next week today. So I completed 4x50 and 2x100 for time. Normal times, not impressive. Afterwards was a my tempo run. It was rough. I started slow, eventually got to my tempo, but I couldn't keep it. Ended up the run with an average speed 45s slower than what it should have been. This run was tough. The positive thing about it is tough as it may be, and even if I am not happy with my performance, I am happy with why it is tough. It is tough because I have been working hard. Pushing myself hard is a good reason to not be at an optimal level. 

Since I can't take an ice bath, I use a cold shower technique I read in Triathlete, after the workouts. Cheated a little bit on the diet today because it was employee appreciation day and members of the community brought us honey buns and hot dogs (clearly prisons are full of health issues when they know that's what makes us happy). I think I am working hard enough to justify it. We will see tomorrow morning when I hit the scale.

4 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

I stay up all night worrying about you being happy bud! Hang in there - you are still a rocket!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, although I always want a better perfomance I am very happy right now (fitness wise). Even though my workouts are tough, I own the pain. They are hard because I pushed hard (probable my hardest)another day. That is something I can really be happy about.

Patrick Mahoney said...

I think you need to look at training in bigger blocks than day to day. Some days you have it, some days you don't. The devil is in the details. If you take the time to drill down and find out why off days are off, you'll learn quite a bit about making good days great.

chris mcpeake said...

Keep it up man. Off days will come and go.