After all the anticipation I am not very satisfied and that sucks. I felt it was similar to the way people describe sex for first time, short and awkward. I was not comfortable and had many issues. I did get a top speed of 27mph which was kinda of scary on the stretch of downhill I was on, but I know I could have ran that faster. Though if I fall on this road it will be a very bad day. In 30 minutes I rode 4.87 miles per the bike computer (4.4 per mapmyride.com) I am not sure the computer is correct and I am pretty sure I reset it completely after my ride. Looks like I will be buying a new one. I will be looking for one that has trip distance, odometer, pace, time, stopwatch, and number 1 is affordable.
Here are some the issues that I had. I have some general bike knowledge since I have been mountain biking for years but some of this is new to me. I am hoping that if I list the issues some of you who ride can provide me some insight. I do realize some it may just take getting used to so here goes:
- The ride in general felt very squirrely, I swerved a lot, especially when I had my hands up top but I figure that is because of narrow hand placement outside of the stem.
- I could not find a comfortable hand position. The space between my thumb and index fingers kept cramping. The seat has a slight forward cant. I will change it back to level to make sure that I am not putting too much pressure on my hands. I rode with my hands at the bars, in the middle of the curve (is it hood?) near the brakes, and at the bottom of the curve. Preferred bottom and middle the most, but still had pain.
- Brakes felt like they needed tightening. Is there a fine tuning screw for road/tri bikes like on a mtb?
- Hard time clipping in. My mountain bike pedals can be entered from both sides. These pedals could not be and if I unclipped I had a hard time getting the pedal rolled back over. They are slippery little devils.
- I had a harder time climbing on this bike than on my mountain bike I have using. I thought this was supposed to be more efficient.
- What is the best way to shift with down tube shifter. I was damn near scared when I would take one hand off the bars to reach below me for the shifter when I was already wobbling.
- Popped my chain off twice, I chock once up to bad shifting while climbing, but still aggravating when I have to get off the bike to put me chain back on track and then restart mid-hill with no momentum.